Episode #114 – Selling Chemicals, Cookies, & Cosmetics on Amazon – Dave Terry – Amazon Legends
03/03/22 Nick Uresin
Starting to sell on Amazon can be very hard, especially if you’re selling “dangerous goods” or running three companies at the same time. Dave Terry has done both, finding great success, and now Dave’s letting you know how to do it yourself. You’ll learn about how to approach the launch of your product, the best practices for FBA, and how to get organic sales while decreasing your ad spend.
- For products that are considered “dangerous goods” on Amazon, the storage options offered by FBA warehouses have decreased since the start of the Covid pandemic as demand rose for other “hazardous” products like hand sanitizer.
- The goal of selling on Amazon should be to sell products organically, without having to spend on advertising your products. However, to do this you have to advertise your products to get sales initially which will boost your ranking and your visibility.
- There is a process to sell “dangerous goods” on Amazon through FBA and a major part of it is maintaining the right level of stock in the FBA warehouse. Try to get sales, stay in stock, and make sure not to send too much stock as Amazon will limit your storage.
- Don’t expect overnight success on Amazon. It takes time to build your presence and credibility as a seller.
- Find the standard amount of inventory that you need at an FBA warehouse, this could mean having stock for the next 10 week’s forecasted sales. Typically, 1/3 will be available to sell, while the other 2/3 go through FBA’s 4-6 week intake process.
- Ahead of peak times, make sure to be in weekly or biweekly communication with manufacturers to make sure things are on schedule and the demand can be met in time.
- If you have a very well-developed way of doing business, when you start selling on Amazon, you can’t expect Amazon to conform to your way of doing things. To be successful, you have to adapt your business to fit Amazon’s methods.
Quote of the Show:
- “I can’t stress it more than to tell new sellers just to give absolutely amazing customer service” – Dave Terry
- Email: Dave@bellechemical.com
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/david-terry-020b5428/
- Company website: https://www.bellechemical.com
- Company website: https://lissecosmetics.com/
- Company website: https://viddiesbakery.com/
Ways to Tune In:
- Amazon Music: https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/092e0e83-44d8-42a3-9efd-f57daad2bbff/amazon-legends-podcast
- Audible: https://www.audible.com/pd/Podcast/B08JJQKM6V
- Apple Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/amazon-legends-podcast/id1589750284
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/01NnJ5SHgUFTBDr77HtExu?si=7850ec72879e401e
- Google Podcast: https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5idXp6c3Byb3V0LmNvbS8xODM1ODcwLnJzcw?sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiG09G16uH1AhWSrnIEHbUABo0Q9sEGegQIARAD
- Stitcher: https://www.stitcher.com/show/amazon-legends-podcast
- YouTube: https://youtu.be/5zVfAhsBDSM
A2X is a world-class software company which automates accurate ecommerce accounting for thousands of ecommerce businesses worldwide. Whether you are selling on Shopify, eBay, Etsy, Amazon or Walmart, A2X will give you confidence your financials are accurate and the insights you need to run your ecommerce business efficiently.
Use the following coupon codes to receive discount on A2X Accounting services:
An eCommerce suiteto manage and sell products, find keywords, identify trends, optimize listings, streamline advertising campaigns, and more on Amazon.
Use the following coupon codes to receive discount on Helium10 services:
- ARGOMETRIX10 – 10% off onall plans (including annual plans)
- ARGOMETRIX50 – 50% off on first month
Top 1% Amazon sellers rely on Carbon6 tools to scale, optimize, and stay ahead of the curve.The C6 suite of tools makes it simple to optimize and streamline every aspect of your Amazon business.
Use the following coupon codes to receive discount on Carbon6 services:
eComBalance offer monthly bookkeeping services for growing eCommerce brands, agencies, and software companies.
Click here to sign up for eComBalanceand get 1 month free.
Spread the word!
If you enjoyed listening to this podcast, then please support me with a review on Apple Podcasts. It's easy and takes 1 minute! Just Click here to head to Apple Podcasts and leave an honest rating and review of the podcast. Every review helps!