Episode #113 – Preparing Your Process to Perform – Zach Cohen – Amazon Legends
02/28/22 Nick Uresin
Starting up a business on Amazon is completely different from the traditional idea of creating a startup and the process can be very complex. Zach Cohen breaks down this process based on his own extensive experience with startups and selling on Amazon. Make sure you have the right mindset to start, the key clearly defined roles, and processes in place before you get started. You’ll learn about some of the intricacies of FBA and FBM, tracking and analyzing your Amazon data, and creating new listings.
- When using FBM to supplement FBA, you have to make sure your 3PL includes the tracking into the Amazon dashboard. Without this, even if the orders are shipping on time, Amazon will think those orders never shipped and shut you down.
- If you are using FBM, Amazon considers the date on which you upload the shipping data as the date that the item was shipped. If you upload the data later than the requirement for shipping time, you will get penalized by Amazon.
- For those starting with FBM, you need to do multiple test runs on your Amazon site before it goes live. Test the API connection with your 3PL to make sure the 3PL data is transferred into the Amazon dashboard.
- There are three roles that must be clearly defined: 1. Operations (Preparing & shipping inventory); 2. Demand Planner (Velocity per Warehouse/SKU & how long getting stock into Amazon’s system is); 3. Marketing Guru (Listings & Keywords).
- You cannot rely entirely on Amazon for tracking and analyzing your data. You need to become intimately familiar with your data and incorporate it into your everyday. Using that data and the insights from it can help you communicate better with your team.
- When making your listings, consider making them cohesive to how you are packing the product. Build out your master cases, pallet counts, flavors and SKUs that are available on Amazon as ASINs.
- It’s imperative to win in the first 90 days of your launch on Amazon. Amazon will give you a little boost, but you need to have a great team that can execute from day 1 of launch to get the most momentum you can out of the gate.
Quote of the Show:
- “If you do Amazon the wrong way, to use a boxing analogy, you’re going to get punched right in the face and they might not let you get back up” – Zach Cohen
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/zachcohen2/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/rubyforfun
- Company website: https://ruby.fun/
Ways to Tune In:
- Amazon Music: https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/092e0e83-44d8-42a3-9efd-f57daad2bbff/amazon-legends-podcast
- Audible: https://www.audible.com/pd/Podcast/B08JJQKM6V
- Apple Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/amazon-legends-podcast/id1589750284
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/01NnJ5SHgUFTBDr77HtExu?si=7850ec72879e401e
- Google Podcast: https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5idXp6c3Byb3V0LmNvbS8xODM1ODcwLnJzcw?sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiG09G16uH1AhWSrnIEHbUABo0Q9sEGegQIARAD
- Stitcher: https://www.stitcher.com/show/amazon-legends-podcast
- YouTube: https://youtu.be/LPqhSYa4xRE
A2X is a world-class software company which automates accurate ecommerce accounting for thousands of ecommerce businesses worldwide. Whether you are selling on Shopify, eBay, Etsy, Amazon or Walmart, A2X will give you confidence your financials are accurate and the insights you need to run your ecommerce business efficiently.
Use the following coupon codes to receive discount on A2X Accounting services:
An eCommerce suiteto manage and sell products, find keywords, identify trends, optimize listings, streamline advertising campaigns, and more on Amazon.
Use the following coupon codes to receive discount on Helium10 services:
- ARGOMETRIX10 – 10% off onall plans (including annual plans)
- ARGOMETRIX50 – 50% off on first month
Top 1% Amazon sellers rely on Carbon6 tools to scale, optimize, and stay ahead of the curve.The C6 suite of tools makes it simple to optimize and streamline every aspect of your Amazon business.
Use the following coupon codes to receive discount on Carbon6 services:
eComBalance offer monthly bookkeeping services for growing eCommerce brands, agencies, and software companies.
Click here to sign up for eComBalanceand get 1 month free.
Spread the word!
If you enjoyed listening to this podcast, then please support me with a review on Apple Podcasts. It's easy and takes 1 minute! Just Click here to head to Apple Podcasts and leave an honest rating and review of the podcast. Every review helps!