E107: Dominating with Differentiation – Danielle Vincent – Amazon Legends
12/23/21 Nick Uresin
There are lots of new businesses which start selling on Amazon every day and the quest to stand out among them gets more and more challenging. Luckily, Danielle Vincent, an eight-year veteran of selling on Amazon is here to pass on some pearls of wisdom. You will learn about differentiating your products, whether PPC campaigns are more important than optimizing your listings, and planning for peak selling periods. Danielle also passes along tips on launching new products that can only be learned the hard way.
- Amazon is becoming a more accessible channel for a growing number of businesses, so competition is increasing which makes differentiating your product even more important. Differentiating helps your product compete with the cheaper competitors Amazon promotes around it.
- It is important to realize that selling on Amazon is not a strategy on its own. To be successful, Amazon has to be one channel within a bigger picture strategy.
- When buying your products from wholesalers, it is imperative to have them sign an agreement not to also sell those same products on Amazon. Do whatever you can to control who can sell against you on Amazon.
- Many consumers begin their product search on Amazon, not Google. Consumers use Google when looking for local products, but they are more likely to use Amazon when looking for products overall.
- When using FBA, you must consider the packaging materials and shipping requirements of FBA. There are some things that you won’t have control over in FBA warehouses such as temperature, so make sure your packaging is up to the task.
- If there is a problem with your product, you must recall it immediately. Although this will be hard and costly, it is the best move to make and can save you from a lot of bad reviews. When launching new products, only send 10-20 units at first so if there is an issue or a bad review among the first five reviews, it is easier to recall the inventory.
- When planning for an upcoming peak selling period, take the cut-off shipping date that Amazon gives you with a very large grain of salt. Make a practice of shipping 2 months ahead of that date and not sending the entire order in one shipment, as it could get lost.
Quote of the Show:
- “We’re not interested in being trends, we’re an evergreen brand with the evergreen scent profile that we have” – Danielle Vincent
- LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/danielleavincent
- Company Twitter: @OutlawSoaps
- Company website: LiveOutlaw.com
- Personal website: danielleavincent.com
- Book: you-nicorn.com
Ways to Tune In:
- Amazon Music: https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/092e0e83-44d8-42a3-9efd-f57daad2bbff/amazon-legends-podcast
- Audible: https://www.audible.com/pd/Podcast/B08JJQKM6V
- Apple Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/amazon-legends-podcast/id1589750284
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/01NnJ5SHgUFTBDr77HtExu?si=7850ec72879e401e
- YouTube: https://youtu.be/E2Bgk2UrFNM
A2X is a world-class software company which automates accurate ecommerce accounting for thousands of ecommerce businesses worldwide. Whether you are selling on Shopify, eBay, Etsy, Amazon or Walmart, A2X will give you confidence your financials are accurate and the insights you need to run your ecommerce business efficiently.
Use the following coupon codes to receive discount on A2X Accounting services:
An eCommerce suiteto manage and sell products, find keywords, identify trends, optimize listings, streamline advertising campaigns, and more on Amazon.
Use the following coupon codes to receive discount on Helium10 services:
- ARGOMETRIX10 – 10% off onall plans (including annual plans)
- ARGOMETRIX50 – 50% off on first month
Top 1% Amazon sellers rely on Carbon6 tools to scale, optimize, and stay ahead of the curve.The C6 suite of tools makes it simple to optimize and streamline every aspect of your Amazon business.
Use the following coupon codes to receive discount on Carbon6 services:
eComBalance offer monthly bookkeeping services for growing eCommerce brands, agencies, and software companies.
Click here to sign up for eComBalanceand get 1 month free.
Spread the word!
If you enjoyed listening to this podcast, then please support me with a review on Apple Podcasts. It's easy and takes 1 minute! Just Click here to head to Apple Podcasts and leave an honest rating and review of the podcast. Every review helps!