Episode # 133 – ECommerce Sourcing Solutions – Scott Welker-Reyes – Amazon Legends
07/14/22 Nick Uresin
Because of the limitations placed on the global supply chains by the pandemic, Just In Time inventory is no longer viable for many businesses. In light of this, businesses must get more people from more countries involved in sourcing their inventory. Scott Welker-Reyes is the VP of Operations & Administration at Fermob USA and has tons of experience in eCommerce and sourcing inventory from around the world. You’ll hear about how to find international sourcing partners, what to consider when placing your next order, and why your business should choose FBA or FBM.
- There are ambassadors from other countries that work in the US whose job is to help businesses find sourcing partners in their home countries. These can be a great resource for discovering alternative suppliers.
- If your product requires multiple pieces of different materials, once you find a manufacturer for one of the parts, they likely already know other manufacturers who can make the rest of the parts.
- As a result of the supply chain issues over the past few years, businesses need to hedge their bets and order over and above what they would normally use. Most forecasting models have been made useless from the recent shortages.
- The biggest cause of increases in domestic prices for both companies and consumers is the pierce of ocean freight. Trans-pacific freight costs have risen up to 500% and that is if the cargo can even get loaded on a ship.
- Amazon has created an expectation for consumers that if they order something today, they should have it tomorrow. This is not the case with large items like furniture and wholesale distributors have struggled because of it.
- For furniture brands, the choice to use FBA needs to be carefully considered because of the shipping costs incurred by the seller and the higher risk of items being damaged during shipping due to undertrained and overburdened staff.
- If you have a large offering of products that also come in many different colors, consider paring those options down when selling on Amazon and only offering 6 colors instead of 24.
Quote of the Show:
- “At this point in time, Just In Time, inventory just doesn’t work any longer” – Scott Welker-Reyes
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/scott-welker-reyes/
- Personal Website: https://scottwelkerreyes.com/
- Company website: https://www.fermobusa.com/
Ways to Tune In:
- Apple Podcast (Leave a Review): https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/amazon-legends-podcast/id1589750284
- iHeart Radio: https://iheart.com/podcast/94668552/
- Podchaser (Leave a Review): https://www.podchaser.com/podcasts/amazon-legends-podcast-1986925
- Amazon Music: https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/092e0e83-44d8-42a3-9efd-f57daad2bbff/amazon-legends-podcast
- Audible: https://www.audible.com/pd/Podcast/B08JJQKM6V
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/01NnJ5SHgUFTBDr77HtExu?si=7850ec72879e401e
- Google Podcast: https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5idXp6c3Byb3V0LmNvbS8xODM1ODcwLnJzcw?sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiG09G16uH1AhWSrnIEHbUABo0Q9sEGegQIARAD
- Stitcher: https://www.stitcher.com/show/amazon-legends-podcast
- YouTube: https://youtu.be/Kw4k9JBe4OQ
A2X is a world-class software company which automates accurate ecommerce accounting for thousands of ecommerce businesses worldwide. Whether you are selling on Shopify, eBay, Etsy, Amazon or Walmart, A2X will give you confidence your financials are accurate and the insights you need to run your ecommerce business efficiently.
Use the following coupon codes to receive discount on A2X Accounting services:
An eCommerce suiteto manage and sell products, find keywords, identify trends, optimize listings, streamline advertising campaigns, and more on Amazon.
Use the following coupon codes to receive discount on Helium10 services:
- ARGOMETRIX10 – 10% off onall plans (including annual plans)
- ARGOMETRIX50 – 50% off on first month
Top 1% Amazon sellers rely on Carbon6 tools to scale, optimize, and stay ahead of the curve.The C6 suite of tools makes it simple to optimize and streamline every aspect of your Amazon business.
Use the following coupon codes to receive discount on Carbon6 services:
eComBalance offer monthly bookkeeping services for growing eCommerce brands, agencies, and software companies.
Click here to sign up for eComBalanceand get 1 month free.
Spread the word!
If you enjoyed listening to this podcast, then please support me with a review on Apple Podcasts. It's easy and takes 1 minute! Just Click here to head to Apple Podcasts and leave an honest rating and review of the podcast. Every review helps!