Episode # 126 – Organizing Your Amazon Operations – Justin Goodwin – Amazon Legends
05/26/22 Nick Uresin
For brands starting out on Amazon, it can be a rocketship ride and you need to have the inventory processes in place to keep up with your growth. Justin Goodwin, The Revenue Accelerator, has built out the systems for many Amazon brands and helped them find success. You’ll hear about what planning tools may work best for your company depending on size, how much safety stock you need to have, and what goes into a startup finding success on Amazon.
- From an operational perspective, the areas that a company must focus on to scale include its manufacturing capacity, the accuracy of sales forecasts, the integration of sales forecasts into production, and the ability of the current manufacturers to scale.
- When you are selling through both retail and e-commerce, you need to allocate your inventory to a certain channel and the distinct processes that each sales channel requires.
- Many of the automated demand-planning tools available require large amounts of historical data, so startups will have issues using them. Instead, building out a forecasting model can be more useful and provide more accurate results.
- When ordering inventory from a manufacturer, you need to keep in mind the level of safety stock you want. If you are using 3PL, you also need to consider how much safety stock to have at each location to meet demand without creating inefficiencies.
- Your safety stock at each location should give you enough time to place a new order with a manufacturer to replenish stock directly. Avoid moving stock between locations at all costs as this adds cost without adding value, therefore reducing margins.
- When using an ERP system, there will be some pain points and you need to be aware of idiosyncrasies that pop up when moving data between systems and correct them.
- Customers trust Amazon reviews much more than other review sites, especially Google. Amazon is trying to provide the best customer service and part of that is through driving trial purchases and repeat customers.
Quote of the Show:
- “Having to move the freight between locations makes me cringe and I think would make any operations professional cringe” – Justin Goodwin
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/justin-goodwin-6b013210a/
- Instagram: jutin_g
- Website: https://slatemilk.com/
Ways to Tune In:
- Apple Podcast (Leave a Review): https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/amazon-legends-podcast/id1589750284
- iHeart Radio: https://iheart.com/podcast/94668552/
- Podchaser (Leave a Review): https://www.podchaser.com/podcasts/amazon-legends-podcast-1986925
- Amazon Music: https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/092e0e83-44d8-42a3-9efd-f57daad2bbff/amazon-legends-podcast
- Audible: https://www.audible.com/pd/Podcast/B08JJQKM6V
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/01NnJ5SHgUFTBDr77HtExu?si=7850ec72879e401e
- Google Podcast: https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5idXp6c3Byb3V0LmNvbS8xODM1ODcwLnJzcw?sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiG09G16uH1AhWSrnIEHbUABo0Q9sEGegQIARAD
- Stitcher: https://www.stitcher.com/show/amazon-legends-podcast
- YouTube: https://youtu.be/V7hQIgF3Zi8
A2X is a world-class software company which automates accurate ecommerce accounting for thousands of ecommerce businesses worldwide. Whether you are selling on Shopify, eBay, Etsy, Amazon or Walmart, A2X will give you confidence your financials are accurate and the insights you need to run your ecommerce business efficiently.
Use the following coupon codes to receive discount on A2X Accounting services:
An eCommerce suiteto manage and sell products, find keywords, identify trends, optimize listings, streamline advertising campaigns, and more on Amazon.
Use the following coupon codes to receive discount on Helium10 services:
- ARGOMETRIX10 – 10% off onall plans (including annual plans)
- ARGOMETRIX50 – 50% off on first month
Top 1% Amazon sellers rely on Carbon6 tools to scale, optimize, and stay ahead of the curve.The C6 suite of tools makes it simple to optimize and streamline every aspect of your Amazon business.
Use the following coupon codes to receive discount on Carbon6 services:
eComBalance offer monthly bookkeeping services for growing eCommerce brands, agencies, and software companies.
Click here to sign up for eComBalanceand get 1 month free.
Spread the word!
If you enjoyed listening to this podcast, then please support me with a review on Apple Podcasts. It's easy and takes 1 minute! Just Click here to head to Apple Podcasts and leave an honest rating and review of the podcast. Every review helps!